Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sustainability and Renewable Energy Forum

As sometimes happens at Darden, I was so wrapped up in recruiting and interviews today that I missed the sustainability in marketing and general management panel, but luckily was able to make the networking event that concluded the forum.

A lively event (maybe because of the glass of white wine in my hand), I ended up in a small circle of students/speakers/Darden faculty with Patty Fogelsong, Pres. of Net Impact, Mike Lenox, head of the Batten Institute, and John Stern, a representative from Chevron's renewable energy R&D group.

The range of discussion was interesting -- Patty talked about her internship with the Park's Service in Death Valley and some of the Park's attempts to becoming more economically self-sustainable, which sounded difficult when they do things like only charge car manufacturers in the two digits (as in $100, $200) to road-test their cars in the park. I regaled everyone with stories of my internship in Bali and Mike questioned me on issues of 'additionality' in the carbon market. (It's a tough issue, but lucky for you Adam Stein at Grist published a great four part series on it.)

I also had the opportunity to talk to Stern about where Chevron is making investments in renewable energy. It turns out they are doing a lot in Indonesia. Why? Because it's hot. It's not only hot, it's volcanic hot. I also think Chevron is in geothermal because it gets it--their core business translates well into this new area.

The event flowed nicely into my Business and Sustainability seminar. Today we're doing a fascinating case on BP's sustainability initiatives (from its internal carbon trading program to its Beyond Petroleum marketing campaigns) that will be led by Lenox.

I'm going into class so that's all for now, but I'll be back on Friday to blog about the Darden Business Concept Competition.

No comments: